Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

If your application is crashing after upgrading to Yosemite - temporary workaround

What's going on

It is most likely due to JamKazam trying to load plugins from the folder on your system /Library/Internet Plugin-Ins (these are plugins that your normal browser uses, like Safari).

On my own machine, I had to move a plugin out of that directory in order to get JamKazam to load.

In the commands below, I move the any plugin starting with fbplugin* to my desktop ( that way I could move it back later, if I like). I believe this is the Facebook Photo Viewer plugin... so I should be able to get it back by going to Facebook.

Here are the steps to fix

Open Terminal (hit Command + Space, and type Terminal). Then paste this into terminal to move the troublesome plugins out of the way. You will be prompted to enter your login password because of the use of 'sudo'. You need elevated privileges to move these plugins out of this folder; that's why there is a password prompt.

sudo mv /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/fbplugin* ~/Desktop
sudo mv ~/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/fbplugin* ~/Desktop
We are working to get a real fix for this.

Comments

• When you update to Yosemite there are a lot of issues with other programs. I haven't updated because I've heard to many complaints from to many people about all the kinks in the newest version. It's not just JamKazam that people are having problems with after down loading Yosemite, it's a lot of programs. So, until they do a few updates I'm keeping OS X 10.9.5. on my MacbookPro.
  • This is the first app I've had any trouble with since I've been using Yosemite.
  • When I enter "command +space bar" I get a "spotlight search" window with no place to type. Do you have another workaround? Please advise.
    "May there be no stairs in your load ins, and no rain in your load outs"
  • Hey David... after you hit CMD + Space, you can just start typing immediately. Or, instead of hitting CMD + Space, you can click the magnifying glass in the top-right.

This article has some screenshots, which might help too: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/24/getting-the-most-out-of-the-revamped-os-x-spotlight-search-in-yosemite
  • edited January 2015
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I entered Cmnd+Space. typed Terminal, but saw no troublesome plug-ins as described as fbplugin* to move out of the way. I cannot see a way to paste "sudo mv /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/fbplugin* ~/Desktop" into Terminal. Any suggestions?
  • Hey David,

I attached a few screen shots to help walk through this better.

First, get the search bar to show (CMD + Space), and then in that bar, type Terminal and select Terminal. (that's the 1st screenshot)

That should bring up a command prompt (in other words, Terminal). That's the second screen shot.

In terminal, you can right-click and select 'Paste'. That should get the text in the terminal. Hit ENTER to submit it.

In the 3rd screenshot, you can see what happens when I hit enter... this comes out:

'mv: rename /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/fbplugin* to /Users/seth/Desktop/fbplugin*: No such file or directory'

So that means I don't have the plugins on my system (which is good).

Is that what you did?
    Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 10.39.20 PM.png
    2580 x 1354 - 536K
    Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 10.41.26 PM.png
    1364 x 956 - 87K
    Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 10.42.43 PM.png
    1364 x 956 - 97K
  • No plugins. and it just started opening after I closed it and reopened. Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it, and am excited to play with musicians all over the place.
  • Um. Ok... that's weird :) Glad it's working though.
  • This shit's too complicated. You have to keep worrying about it all the time. This has always been a problem when it comes to Windows and ASIO drivers.
  • We agree Ron Ron. Audio stuff is a Tower of Babel. That's why we're delivering the JamBlaster. It's a combo computer & audio interface in a single appliance device that "just works". It's plug and play, and you don't have to worry about the possible incompatibilities. It's also outrageously fast, clocking in at a mere 2.8ms of roundtrip audio processing latency. And it will be inexpensive. Watch for it on Kickstarter end of January. :)

Meanwhile we'll continue to do our best to support industry standard computers and audio interfaces for those brave souls who already have and use them.
  • Not working for me. When I follow your instructions, this is what I get on Terminal:

mv: rename /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/fbplugin* to /Users/yanchick/Desktop/fbplugin*: No such file or directory

I went to that path and I do not see that plug-in. I still cannot get the app to open.
  • Hey @Dave Yanchick

The Facebook photo plugin is the only one on my machine causing this problem. It's entirely possible that a different plugin is causing the issue on your machine.

Could we do this: there should be 'crash files' available on your computer, which would be very useful:

Here's how to get those:
    • In Terminal, type:
    • open ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/
    • This will open MacOSX Finder. If you could zip up any files that have a name started with JamKazam and email them back to support@jamkazam.com, then I could look in there as well for pointers into why your app is crashing on startup
  • I have Yosemite. JK works fine on it. When I close JK, but leave it open in the back ground so it can get latency times, I can't get the JK window to appear on my desktop again. Nothing happens when I click the icon. The JK info shows up top.."Jamkazam OSX Client", but the window is not there. I've tried everything I can think of. I have to quit JK, and reopen for the window to work. When I right click icon and quit JK, the window pops up momentarily and then closes. Any thoughts?
  • Hi Joe - This is a usability issue we need to address. It's confusing, and sorry about that. When the app is running in the background, if you look up at the top of your OS X screen over by the battery/time/etc., you'll probably see a few small app icons, and one of those will be the JamKazam icon. If you click on that icon, it will display a menu, and you can click the Show Session Window command to display the app again. I know this is bad. We need to figure out how to make it work so that clicking the main icon in the ribbon will re-open the user interface of the app.
  • Thanks David. That's no problem. Easy to do. JK just got simpler. Thanks again.