Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Is there any interest in a guide to setting up Reaper/ReaRoute with JamKazam for Windows?

edited February 2015 in General
Disclaimer: wall of text incoming, I had to split this post into 2 parts.

So earlier today I had the chance to talk some nitty gritty tech with Seth Call (JamKazam employee.) During the call, he was particularly interested in my setup using ReaRoute and asked me some questions because he didn't have any personal experience using ReaRoute. He mentioned that not many people know of or use the type of setup I do, but there has been some interest. I did some reading here on the JamKazam forum and while I noticed the interest by some users, there were not a lot of solid answers for newbies. So let me do a quick rundown of my setup and my experiences so far and if there is interest from the community for a guide, then I'll volunteer to take the time to writing up a detailed step by step setup.

So the majority of users here let JamKazam control the entirety of the audio from the moment it goes into the interface until you or the other band members hear the audio. This is the best way to ensure reliable performance and ease of setup for people of all skill levels. The downside to this method is that you as the user have almost no control over the audio processing. Here's an example:

Johnny is an intermediate guitar player. He's been playing a few years alongside his favorite Nirvana CD but wants to take it up a notch. He discovers JamKazam. He has his Strat', he went out and got a $40 Behringer interface, and he's ready to rock out. He goes through the normal setup without any issues, and is ready to play. He sees a session named "Beginner's Rock Jam!", so he excitedly joins. He chats with his fellow musicians and they all agree to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit", a song Johnny knows very well. The song starts with Johnny playing the intro, sounds good. Then the rest of the band comes in and Johnny realizes very quickly that his guitar plugged straight into the interface isn't going to cut it. The intro is played clean, but the rest of the song demands some more oomph, mainly a distortion effect.

So what options does Johnny have at this point. Well he could certainly get a pedal or ten, but that can get very expensive very quickly. He could use his practice amp that his mom bought him when he first got his guitar. The problem with that is the amp might not have a Line Out, so he may need to mic the amp, raising the cost without any guarantee that his amp will sound any good once mic'd. He could invest in a good amp with a direct out, but that also has a high cost associated with it. Frustrated that there is another barrier to entry, he may just give up and never return or have to wait even longer to finally get to play what he wants to. If this experience rings a bell, don't worry, I've been there and it's pretty common. Luckily, we live in the golden age of computers to bring that cost barrier of entry much lower then it once was.

What Johnny and many musicians don't realize is that by getting that interface, he now has access to literally countless amounts of digital audio manipulation, often for free. "What kind of manipulation?" you may be asking yourself right now. Well lets look at Johnny's issue. His clean guitar sound didn't cut it for grunge rock, what he needs is lots of distortion and a good sounding amp. One option I can think of is Amplitube, a free to use (with paid optional componants) amp modelling program. Amplitube digitally takes your clean signal and applies tonal characteristics modelled after real live amps and cabinets, and even has pedal, cabinet mic, rack gear, and room acoustics emulation. This one free program could solve Johnny's issues completely. There are many other great amp modelling programs, many of which are also free. I would suggest doing a Youtube search for Amplitube or Guitar Rig to hear what amp modelling does.

Digital audio manipulation isn't limited to amp modelling. Anything you can do in a fully equipped recording studio with millions of dollars in equipment, you can do digitally, and often for free. This is accomplished using plugins (VST plugins are the popular type.) Plugins are applied to an audio signal using a digital audio workstation (DAW). Want to sound like you're being recorded at the famous Abbey Road Studio? Check out the Waves Abbey Road Plugin Collection (http://goo.gl/oXp1S9). Want your vocals to sound like Trent Reznor through a walkie talkie? Audioease Speakerphone 2 has you covered (http://goo.gl/N0Zk3N). If you can imagine it, there's probably a way to do it digitally. These two examples cost money, but there are many free alternatives to try for yourself.

So now that you have an idea of what you can do, let me give you a quick explanation of how I accomplish these kinds of manipulations with my personal setup. Instead of having JamKazam control the audio, I use Reaper, a free to try digital audio workstation (DAW). Reaper has an advertised 30 day free trial, but what isn't advertised is that after 30 days you can continue to evaluate the program and all it's features for free. I ended up buying a full license after about 250 days and a total of about 400 hours of use (it keeps track of your evaluation to encourage you to buy a license.) There are other DAWs available, including the famed Pro Tools and Logic, and others such as Cubase and Reason. I'll be sticking to Reaper for this discussion because of ReaRoute which is included with Reason, but other DAWs have other alternatives.

Setting up Reaper with your audio interface is very similar to the setup that JamKazam has. It uses ASIO or WDM to access your interface hardware. Once Reaper is setup to control the inputs and outputs, you need a way to route that audio to JamKazam so the program has something to work with, that's where ReaRoute comes in. ReaRoute creates virtual inputs and outputs in Windows so Reaper can pass the audio stream off to other programs. Setting up JamKazam with ReaRoute is the same as setting it up with your interface hardware normally, but instead of choosing your interface as the input and output, you pick ReaRoute's virtual inputs and outputs.

So the signal path for me goes Instrument/mic to my interface to Reaper, then Reaper applies my chosen effects or other tasks, this is then passed to ReaRoute and finally to JamKazam. With the audio coming from other band members, it works the same way but in opposite, starting with JamKazam, the audio is passed through ReaRoute to Reaper (I can do some tasks here if I want) and finally out to my interface and played over my headphones. You can think of Reaper and ReaRoute as an extra step between you and JamKazam, both with the audio in and audio out.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Part 2:

Now that you know what Reaper and ReaRoute can do, you can see how much control you get with your audio. As a DAW, you can use Reaper for any other type of task that you would use a DAW for, including recording, playback, audio manipulation, and mixing. There are a few limitations to things like recording and mixing, but it has mostly to do with how JamKazam's incoming audio is streamed and I can go over that at a future date.

"So why wouldn't I always use that method?" you may be asking. Well the biggest downside to using Reaper and ReaRoute is that it increases latency. Latency, as you know, is very important for JamKazam, and as you increase the steps between you playing and your bandmates hearing you or vice versa, latency increases. With my personal setup and without Reaper, JamKazam detected 9ms latency. Adding ReaRoute increased my latency to 15ms. Inserting the Amplitube plugin for amp modelling increased it another 3ms to 18ms. Adding a low-pass/high-pass EQ post amp modelling added 1ms, bringing my latency to 19ms. Applying ReaComp (a tube compressor modelling plugin that I use) moved it up another 1ms to 20ms. You can see how every step adds more latency, and with Reaper, ReaRoute, and my effects, my latency is more then double what it was before, and I don't even have all the effects I want to use in place. I will say that I'm still in the process of optimizing my latency, and I suspect I can do a lot of adjustments with my ASIO4All driver to reduce latency even more, but a lot of that is beyond the scope of newbie-friendly. I had a test call with Seth Call and there was some noticeable pops and clicks, but that was before I started optimizing ASIO4All and he said his connection wasn't very good and it was halfway across the country (Washington, DC to Austin, TX), so I'll have to do some more experimentation.

You can see that the two biggest factors of latency is my interface (9ms) and ReaRoute (6.4ms). First, I plan on replacing my interface with a lower latency interface, I've seen some good reports with the M-Audio Delta 44 (4ms) and one of the Presonus interfaces (Firestudio Mobile I think was reported 4.5ms.) I'malso having variance issues that I suspect is from my Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. This is also where the JamBlaster becomes REALLY appealing. Having the interface output to the JamBlaster will eliminate the need for ReaRoute and bring that 6.4ms down to whatever the JamBlaster latency will be. It should also greatly reduce variance from what I learned with my talk with Seth and how the polling rate will work.

So now that I've explained my setup and some experiences, I'd like to hear from the community! I'm mainly looking to see what kind of demand there is for a guide, the more in demand it is the more motivated I'll be to finish it faster. I'm also available for any questions, even tech heavy ones, about my setup and digital audio manipulation in general. I'm a semi-professional musician and have many years professional tech support experience in the pro-audio industry, so don't feel like there's anything too complex to ask, I'll try my best to answer anything you throw at me or at least point you to the right direction.

Also, I would like to take a moment to shamelessly plug my band Precious Child (http://goo.gl/rE6lFQ). We recently released our first music video and our new album comes out on Tuesday with a second music video shortly after. The entire album was recorded in home studios using the same type of entry level gear, DAWs, and free/cheap plugins that are discussed above. No real amps were used in the recording process, all of it was tracked using interfaces and plugins.
  • edited February 2015
    Oh I forgot one other downside to using my Reaper/ReaRoute method. It breaks the JamKazam's audio quality/latency estimation. To determine latency, JamKazam asks the ASIO driver what the latency is, in this case ReaRoute. ReaRoute gives JamKazam the latency of ReaRoute itself, but doesn't include the latency of Reaper. Because of this, JamKazam thinks the latency is 6.4ms which was confirmed by Seth Call in the database. It also sometimes doesn't give the correct ReaRoute latency. Earlier today JamKazam detected a 64ms latency, again confirmed in the database for Seth. I suspect that it has to do with not having Reaper open when JamKazam was doing ping tests, but as of right now there's no way to figure out why it displayed what it did.

In the end, you'll have to stop using JamKazam's audio quality estimations and rely on your own estimations. I know that my latency is 20ms, but JamKazam thinks it's 6.4ms, so all those green "Good" boxes don't mean anything to me. This also makes it harder for others to see my real latency, making them think that the connection will be better then it is.
  • @Danny Wyatt

This is extremely useful, well-written information. I made this an 'Announcement' so that it's stick to the top of the forum. So far, we've only been in the habit of suggesting SoundFlower, which is a free 'ReaRoute' for MacOSX only. Most of our users use Windows, though,

There are 4 questions I have for you because of it:

Question:

You said:

Having the interface output to the JamBlaster will eliminate the need for ReaRoute and bring that 6.4ms down to whatever the JamBlaster latency will be:
    Just so I'm clear, are you thinking of this setup:

instrument out > (XLR/TRS/TS) > interface in > (interface USB to PC) > DAW > (PC to interface USB) > interface out > (TRS) > JamBlaster input >> headphones in the JamBlaster Output

Question:

In your opinion, would there be a minimal set of effects, if embedded in the JamBlaster as a feature, that would reduce the need for the DAW for some significant number of users? We have not discussed this as a team at all... I'm just curious. Obviously if we could have the JamBlaster do some common effects that most people would be happy with, we could reclaim a bunch of latency by keeping the DAW out of the loop. I have no idea how much work it would be to even do a minimally useful set of effects, so even asking makes me nervous :). But I think it's an important question to ask.

Question

We've had some users express interest in us adding VST support to the JamKazam application (PC/Mac). Do you feel this is an important addition to JamKazam?

Question:

Can I use ReaRoute with, say, ProTools? (At some point, I'll have to spend time with this myself)

Big thanks for the write up!!

Seth
  • edited February 2015
    Hey Seth. Thanks for the sticky, it should really increase the amount of responses I get. Also, great questions.

First question: yes, that's exactly what I was imagining. The only problem I can foresee is the difference in line level output of the interface vs instrument/mic level input of JamBlaster, but it should be solvable using a -20dBu reduction in output from the interface.

Second question: I would think the minimum would be 1, but that would rely on that 1 effect being an impulse response which limits your options as a normal user. Realistically, I think reverb, delay, and EQ would probably be good to have as far as the average user. Compression would be nice also, but they tend to be a little harder to learn to use and isn't really necessary unless you're going for a good recorded quality. The biggest thing would be an amp sim, it would help a lot to reducing that cost of entry like I said above. Many amp sims also include other effects as well, for example Amplitube has reverb, delay, EQ, and compression rack modeling along with all the other things I mentioned in my past post.

Third question: VST support would make my DAW to JamKazam method obsolete for the most part, so yes I think it would be a great feature.

Last question: ReaRoute is designed to work with Reaper. I don't know of a definitive Pro Tools alternative, you'll have to ask support or someone who's more Pro Tools knowledgeable. I've had some good experiences with VB Audio's virtual devices, particularly Voicemeeter and VB-Cable/Hi-Fi Cable, so check those out. I have no idea what kind of latency it will have though, so YMMV.
  • Oh, another alternative to ReaRoute is ASIO4All, but I try to avoid it if possible because it's not very well written.
  • Also, I believe that VB-Cable/Hi-Fi Cable is WDM based while Voicemeeter and Voicemeeter Banana/s virtual inputs and outputs use ASIO.
  • Ok, great feedback! I've made sure the rest of the team has read over all of this.

VB-Cable/Hi-Fi Cable are interesting finds too! (this: http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/) We will have to try that out over here.

We steer people away from ASIO4ALL. I don't believe anyone successfully uses it with JamKazam. We've also observed that latency builds up within it over time, which is a non-starter. We've heard a handful of users use Fender Universal ASIO Driver, which is, in my understanding, a ASIO wrapper around WDM, just like ASIO4ALL. I haven't had a chance to try it.

On a related note, I spent just a little time looking at VSTs on Linux (since the JamBlaster is Linux), and it was something that would require more investigation. I'm sure we can get VSTs to work in the PC/Mac version, but Linux (JamBlaster) is unsurprisingly quite a bit murkier.

Seth
  • Hey Danny, thanks for the great write-up. ASIO4ALL is the culprit behind the latency variation. I would strongly advise not using it. We are aware of its weaknesses and are researching alternatives. Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on your point of view), on Windows platform, using the JamBlaster (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1091884999/jamblaster-play-music-in-real-time-with-others-fro?ref=discovery) is probably really the best solution to this problem in the near term. We will continue to research and probably ultimately build a proper software solution if one cannot be found.
  • edited February 2015
    Peter: The variance issues along with all the other numbers above was using the native Focusrite ASIO drivers. I was doing some testing afterwards with ASIO4All in an attempt to reduce my buffer size and ultimately my latency, but I think I've decided it's just too unreliable.
  • When I first started doing online jamming, I set up using reaper and rearoute. My amp sim, effects, and drum sample triggering are all vst/vsti based. My interface's buffer was just under 15ms and rearoute introduced another 6ms or so. This combination would have failed Jamkazam's gear setup, but passed due to the fact it only saw the latency of the rearoute driver. I found that this setup really created poor latency in sessions, even locally.

My solution in the mean time (jamblaster acquisition pending :smile: ), is running a second interface on the same computer. I would have opted to use a second computer, but my laptop seems to handle the load rather well, averaging about 45% cpu, running Reaper, and Jamkazam in session. I use my main interface for the processing of the vst's then run the main outs to a Behringer UCA-222. The UCA-222 is rock solid at 7.8ms, and runs around $30. The only downside to this is that I do get a small bit of ground loop hum, but not enough to really be bothersome. Also the headphone output is rather low but easily remedied with an inexpensive multi headphone amp that I already had.
  • I have reaper, but never really messed with the rea route aside from installing reaper/ rea route. I currently have midi tracks set up in reaper so it can play back about 16 channels of midi, but depending on how many musicians would be found through JK some would be disabled. I was curious if this would cause to much latency. I currently use behringer x32 rack with the headphone monitor system, so members can get the mix they want, in the headphones. The systems mixer/ headphone mixer lantency is something a round 9.8 seconds, not including what ever windows adds. I still need to test it with jam kazam.

I guess i would have to route all midi tracks, and jam kazam/ rea route returns to same buss, that goes off to respective electric guitars mixer buss/ channel on the x32 personal headphone mixer, and do this to ever instrument coming from the jam kazam. Sending it all to a buss would/ should all me to select whether or not to use a midi track musician, or live one from jam kazam instead. I have most of the inputs set up for direct monitoring in the x32 so I'm guessing this would not work at all with Jam kazam, right, so in order for this to work you would have to have everyone hear the feed from jam kazam only, correct?

Or would you buss all the midi tracks, and rea route them out on 2 stereo channels to jam kazam, and do the same for all the real instruments running into the x32, through rea route, out to jam kazam, on individual channels, then return the jam kazam stereo returns mix, through rea route/ x32 , and then assigned those to 2 personal mixer channels.

Does jam kazam only have 2 stereo return for the internet mix? If this is the case it be cool if you could have a stereo, or mono pan in the jam kazam app so you can get better stereo separation of each individual musicians?

Maybe someone could do a request for update of rea route in Reaper, so that Jam kazam could detect the total latency with in reaper/ audio interface through rea route, if it is at all possible.

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
  • As far as I can tell, JamKazam only returns a stereo mix. I agree that panning would be a great feature for JK. You can send either a 2 channel mix to JamKazam, or you can more. The only thing about sending more channels is that all of the channels are combined before being sent out, so it might not be worth it outside of having a visual representation of each channel in the JamKazam window for other users.

As far as live monitoring, I have it turned off and listen to the stereo return from JamKazam. I'm not sure how the mixer in the JK window works for the personal mix, like if I mute myself what effect if any does that have on the other end of JK. Maybe staff can chime in on that one.
  • A little extra detail about mono/stereo behavior of JamKazam; if you have one input assigned to one track (which you do on step 3 of the gear wizard, or when you click 'Settings' under 'my tracks' while in session), that input will be played as stereo.

If however you assign 2 inputs to one track, one input will be L, and one input will be R.

About Personal Mix mute -- that's actually a special case in our logic. While a mute in the personal mix should only mute that input for your mix only,, we decided to mute both the input in the master mix as well as the personal mix, so that muting yourself in Personal Mix will mute you everywhere.

That was done because of privacy concerns; someone runs into your room shouting personal stuff (or countless other scenarios), and so you rush to push the mute button. It's not realistic for every user to remember to switch to 'Master' mode first, and then mute themselves.

The only downside is that you can't mute yourself just for yourself. But of course, since you have a volume control too, you can achieve silencing one of your inputs for yourself that way too.

We haven't had any feedback one way or the other on that 'mute myself in personal mix' behavior, so as of yet, what you are seeing is our first iteration of it.
  • Yup, I'm interested.
  • It sounds like VST/Plug in support would be a great solution to this! +1 for that feature reqeust.
  • I'm not sure what I'm doing in reaper besides the basic recording features. A guide on this would be great.
  • A great option is to use jackaudio.org (jack router). It provides extremely low latency IO for applications to connect to each other. JamKazam already supports it and it sounds amazing!. Connect in and out of Pro Tools
    or any other DAW on both MAC and Windows, you can stream Soft Synths and Guitar Rig into and out of Jamkazam. Supports native device drivers. There is also MIDI support and lost of open/free synths, mixers, utilities and meters plus VST support (so you dont have to wait for Jamkazam to support VST, just use jackaudio router and connect up your gear and software!
  • It seems like they are more interested in selling their device than they are making their software function with many already existing devices that will achieve the same thing...
  • Hey Charles - That's really not a fair assertion. We've spent the last 2 years making our software function with the existing devices available on the market. And during that time, we've become painfully aware that: (1) existing audio interfaces were built for recording - not real-time streaming - and they are too slow to effectively enable live in sync play across the U.S.; and (2) many of our users have struggled with a variety of issues that have sidelined them using existing gear - from driver settings to OS incompatibilities, etc. It's a Tower of Babel out there, and a lot of people have had a very tough time with setting up their stuff and getting it to work reliably. So yes, we've built a JamBlaster - because existing devices definitively do *not* achieve the same thing. To really solve the problem of online play, the JamBlaster is needed. Existing interfaces are an OK place to start, but they won't get us all there. And beyond the JamBlaster, still more is needed. We have another initiative in the works that is more audacious and, in combination with the JamBlaster, will take things to still another level.

Best,
    David
  • edited November 2015
    @David Wilson (JamKazam Staff) Always forward. Never straight. Eh, David. Old engineers don't die, we don't even fade away. We lurk, waiting for very cool, but USEFUL tech to come along. And now you have my old engineering woodie at full alert. I can't wait to see what you're going to release next.

And I do have to say that I'm developing more and more professional respect for you guys. What you've accomplished in just the last year is very impressive. From passable to entirely usable online jamming, to the first JamBlaster kickstarter, to JamTracks, to video, the current (and successful!!!) JamBlaster kickstarter, to what new engineering wet dream?

I spent 20 years of my engineering career moving real-time data through all sorts of systems (wireline, satellite, radio (dedicated and otherwise), various network schemes (remember PC-LAN? (excuse me, I've gotta talk to Ralph on the big white phone))), so I have a deep appreciation for what you've accomplished and for only some of the challenges you're facing.

Intel i7 3.4GHz Win10 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Tascam US-16x08
    SONAR Platinum FORTE 7 Premium Reaper 5 Bitwig 8-Track
    Nektar Panorama P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, Chromaphone
  • edited November 2015
    So, now I have a question about the JamBlaster.

I'm concerned about how it will interact with my Windows 10 Tascam audio i/f driver. Most of my audio apps take exclusive use of the ASIO driver when they load. If it's not available? Silence.

The JB seems to come without a driver, so is it core compliant? How does that work on Windows? How does it coexist with existing audio drivers?

Will JamKazam need to be to sole audio app running?

Edit: is the JB driver part of the JK app?

Edit 2: just realized which thread this is in. Sorry. Unintended hi-jack.
    Intel i7 3.4GHz Win10 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Tascam US-16x08
    SONAR Platinum FORTE 7 Premium Reaper 5 Bitwig 8-Track
    Nektar Panorama P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, Chromaphone
  • Hi @John Maar

The JamBlaster is audio gear + a computer in one. So, you are jacking in ethernet directly to it, and also jacking in your instrument(s) directly to it.

The only thing you'd use your PC (or mobile phone) is to control the JamBlaster via a normal browser.

So all the typical audio gear/driver concerns are not in the equation (which is a big reason why we want the JamBlaster available as an option, for when people hit all the problems dealing with drivers and OS problems etc... not to mention latency of course).
  • Hey @John Maar Thanks for the kind words. And Seth is right, one of the cool things about the JamBlaster is it "just works", and it won't mess with any of your DAW stuff - because it is a self contained device. Quad core ARM processor, 2GB memory, 8GB storage, Ethernet networking, 2-input audio interface, all designed from the ground up to deliver the lowest possible audio processing latency while maintaining great audio quality to support real-time streaming audio. You control the JamBlaster through a user interface served up by a companion app running on your iOS or Android smartphone - or using a standard browser running on a tablet or a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. So you don't actually connect the JamBlaster to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. These devices talk to the JamBlaster over your home network to tell it what to do - just like using these devices as a remote control to run a Sonos sound system, or a Nest thermostat, or your smart TV.
  • Hey Mark, I downloaded Jackaudio but have no idea how to use it. How do I route my reaper effects into JamKazam?
  • Hello Brandon and all others interested in this topic.

To use Jack Audio Router on Windows:

(Please completely quit Jamkazam client first!)

*IMPORTANT: This is a beta feature and also Jack router can be tricky, it is not
    straight forward and may be confusing if you have not previously used jack, and don't understand
    what jack does and how it works. (see jackaudio.org for details) Also Jack does not restore connections so you will need to setup the audio routing every time you use Jack on windows.

1) Install Jack Audio Router, (download here: www.jackaudio.org)
    2) Start qjackctl.exe
    3) Configure Jack (click setup), set to your ASIO device driver for preferred in and out
    4) Set the sample rate to 48, set the frames/period to 32 (in some cases with some devices you may only be able to use 64 or higher but lower equals lower latency. (NOTE Latency is displayed at the bottom of the Jack setup window)
    NOTE** Required set sever path to jackd -S
    5) Click OK
    6) Click the start button on qjackctl. (Note this may take 1-6 attempts to start in some cases)
    7) Once started, Jack should show running (with no red indicators)
    8) Start Jamkazam client.
    9) Use Cntrl + Shft + J to have Jamkazam enable jack support (you will see a diallog saying jack support is running) NOTE to disable jack support use the same command then deactivate Jack audio support.
    10) Go to the audio gear setup and add new gear
    11) Jack Audio will be a selection for both input and output (Must select 48k)
    12) Once you have passed the gear setup open the qjackctrl connections window
    13) You should now see Jamkazam as a client for input and output along with your audio interface.
    (listed as system)
    14) Start with connecting Jamkazam out 1-2 to system out 1-2.
    15) Connect the inputs of your interface as needed to jamkazam inputs 1-4 (just use 1-2 to start)
    16) OPTIONAL open third party software (DAW, Soft Synths, ect) then their audio device setup
    and select jack audio for their input and ouputs. Connect other software outputs in jacks connections window (DAW, Soft Synths, ect) to Jamkazam inputs 1-4.

Now if everything worked, you can now play your DAW, use the DAWs tracks inputs (Audio and MIDI) to play as the same as if you were in the DAW except now you have connected all of this to use with Jamkazam!.

FYI, This is not as difficult as it looks but you will need understand and test it. Its very powerful and is extremely low latency and great for Jamming online with Jamkazam!