Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Release Notes

Receiving Release Update Notifications

Every time a release is made, we will add a comment to this discussion. If you want to receive an email when an update occurs, then select the 'Star' icon in the upper-right. You can unselect it any time you decide to stop receiving updates.

Comments

• May 28, 2015

#1. We have made the affiliate program generally available. You can find it at the Affiliate Program signup page.
    #2. When you select a WDM device in step 2 of the gear wizard, we default the sample rate to 48000, because we've observed that most WDM devices prefer this sample rate.

This is a Server-Only Update

This means to see the changes, you will have to refresh your browser or JamKazam application (in the application, right-click anywhere and select Reload).
  • Yep I like this also! :)
  • May 30, 2015

#1. We released a number of minor changes to how we load up images, CSS, and JavaScript to help page loading times.

This means to see the changes, you will have to refresh your browser or JamKazam application (in the application, right-click anywhere and select Reload).
  • July 27, 2015

This is a release with a bunch of improvements and new features. Please read on:
    • Audio levels are much more stable now as people join and leave the session.
    • JamTrack volume level is more stable as you mute/unmute individual tracks.
    • The In-Session interface has received a visual upgrade, notably helping in the following ways:
      • Tracks scroll vertically, allowing many more to be seen at once.
      • Tracks do not flicker anymore when people come and go
      • Playback and recording controls show as popup windows, freeing precious real-estate from the in-session screen and hopefully also becoming more convenient to use.
    • Panning has been added.
    • When you open any sort of media (backing tracks or JamTracks), the person who opens it sends out a stream to everyone. This allows 'personal mix' control over the media stream for even remote participants.
    • You can control the volume or pan of all tracks within a JamTrack with a single gain control.
    • The user profile and band profile pages allow you to describe yourself in much greater detail
    As this is a very large update, we expect some problems; our goal as always is to fix them quickly. Please let us know if you experience any issues!
  • Nice one guys! :)
  • Problems with audio last night. Very broken up, un listenable. User tried restarting everything but bad sound still there, he said he could hear himself and me clearly but on my end really bad.
  • Many of my colleagues had problems last evening from 7:30 pm through 12:00 pm. The client shut down, and the audio latency was extreme when more than two jammers were present. I look forward to the fixes. Thanks
  • Hi Tony,

We are seeing that for some scenarios, 3-person sessions have a serious degradation in audio. (As you are seeing). I've been able to recreate it here, which is good. As soon as the 3rd person leaves, the audio sounds OK again.

Anyway, we are looking into it too. Thanks for letting us know it's hitting you too.
  • We just released a new version of the client software.

* This fixes the network test problems seen on Windows.
    * This *may* fix the 3-or-more-person session issue where audio/latency would become unbearable. We need to test more with users because we have not seen the issue much with our gear/computer equipment.
    * This does not fix the issue where MacOSX will not start for some users. We are still working on that aggressively.
  • July 31, 2015

This is a MacOSX Client-Only Update

This fixes all MacOSX users who had a broken client (this occurred for anyone one a Core Due or Xeon).

To get the latest client on MacOSX, you'll need to go to https://www.jamkazam.com/downloads, and replace the currently broken one.
  • August 11, 2015

#1. The metronome shows when you load a JamTrack. This allows you to mute it if you don't want the 'tap-ins' found at the beginning of some JamTracks.
    #2. Database preparations for the upcoming release of more JamTracks.

• August 21, 2015

#1. Many JamTracks added to the catalog (almost 2000).
    #2. Searching UI for JamTracks improved for increased catalog size.
    #3. Creating a 'JamTrack session' from the account screen fixed.

• September 2, 2015

#1. Video stream has been released. Press the VIDEO button while in a session to start transmitting to others. Others in the session can then press the VIDEO button to transmit back to you. There is more video-related functionality in the video window's menu.

This is a Server and Client Update

Reload your client if it's already running, and it should prompt you to upgrade your client. Once it's upgraded, you should be good to go.
  • Hi Seth,

Nice work. I've tested a couple times and it brings up the webcam fine and stays synced up.

I guess my question is : Does this video stream play by the same rules as the audio streams? Is is supposed to show up in the "file manager" as a mixed playable item? Or: Is it at this point so people can see one another while playing? So far: I can't manage to get a local copy of the video saved (well, I can't actually find wherever the temporary storage is if it's saving it locally).

Thanks,

Mick
  • Hey @Mickey Stein

Right now, recordings does not include video.

We are very, very close to adding that though. It's right around the corner.
  • OK: Thanks, Seth. I just did a session with 4 players , 3 of which had video. To them, they seemed to think that maybe the audio was degraded, but I couldn't tell. I don't have enough JK experience to tell. I could adjust it to hear everyone OK.

I may have inadvertently recorded part of that last thing, which might have absolutely no music in it. Ah well.
  • Well, it's possible that the presence video will degrade audio. We've done all we can to prevent that, but ultimately, your network is sending much more data. You may even have the necessary bandwidth, but your router is too busy... our your computer is too busy and is dropping some audio packets. A little experimentation is probably necessary.

Nonetheless, if everyone thinks audio degrades, then we'll look into more heavily. But in our testing, we had video + audio and we felt the audio was fine.
  • September 7, 2015

* This update resolves a crash that occurs randomly while in a session. If you are still experiencing any crashes after this update, please do not hesitate to contact support@jamkazam.com.

This is a Client-Only Update

To get the latest client, you can restart JamKazam to be prompted with the auto-update. Or you can go to https://www.jamkazam.com/downloads, and replace the currently broken one.
  • September 8, 2015

* This update fixes a bug that prevented any recording in sessions.

• September 9, 2015

* This update allows Windows users with no webcams to run a 'TEST VIDEO' button in the video section of the account settings screen, or gear setup wizard. This will bring up the video window and show some basic shapes and colors. This was added for users with no webcam to have a way to verify, without getting into a session, that they can receive video from others.

* Users can entirely disable video if they choose. This can be done also in the video section of the account settings screen. You would disable video entirely if you never want to even see someone else's video, or if the usage of video by others is crashing JamKazam and you need a workaround to prevent such crashes.

This is a Client and Server Update

Reload your client if it's already running, and it should prompt you to upgrade your client. Once it's upgraded, you should be good to go.
  • Seth while in session with 2 friends.

We are all seeing a constant popup (You are now Broadcasting). Then 2 seconds later ( You are NOT Broadcasting)

We see this Notice or Popup going IN & Out many times during our session.

Question
    Is this happening because of people clicking on listen to broadcast?
  • @Doz

Yes, you are right.

So, it's annoying to get that popup, and we should visualize it differently (like a broadcast icon that goes green/red for instance). Any other thoughts on the subject?
  • Its really no use at all to know when someone is listening. If you are allowing broadcasting, there should be a 'ON-AIR" or similar permanent icon. Unless or until you get an interactive use case where comments can be seen in real time or audience is known its of no use to pop-up a 'now broadcasting'.

• Yeah, I like the idea of "On Air" icon - simple and clean.
  • Yep the broadcast thing can go for me also...it can be annoying at times...the icon would be ok I guess :)
  • September 23, 2015

* This update fixes a bug that caused a high number of 'Disconnected from Server' warnings. This error would have caused an increased number of 'no-audio' scenarios in session.

• September 25, 2015

* This update adds 'Custom Mixes' to JamTracks. In a custom mix, all the tracks in a JamTrack are merged into one single track, which is then loaded instead of the full JamTrack. You can alter speed and pitch of the JamTrack to help when practicing a part, as well as set volume & pan levels of each individual track.

A help article describes the feature more fully: https://jamkazam.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/2138903-using-custom-mixes-to-slow-tempo-change-pitch

* Also a fix for the network test running from Australia/Pacific region was added; users in this area (or very high latency to our servers) would have had trouble passing the network test at all.

• October 12, 2015

* This update adds Video recordings. You can make a video recording now. The person who starts the recording is the one who actually makes the recording. Once the recording is done, a Windows Explorer or Finder window will pop open that let's you check out the video. You can also upload the video to YouTube through the app easily, once the recording is done.

* JamTracks getting 'out of sync' on some people's computer received another fix.

* The metronome is working again.

• October 19, 2015

* This update allows users to play JamTracks from within the browser. To try it, go to: https://www.jamkazam.com/client#/jamtrack. ON the left, a table will show that let's you open up a popup that has play/stop/pause controls, as well as the ability to make custom mixes.

You can now download to your PC/Mac/phone custom mixes (or stems/full jamtrack) from this feature as well.