Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

ASIO driver for Behranger UM2

I'm in the process of getting my gear together to join JamKazam. I will be using the Behranger UM2 to interface and the forums I have read said to get the ASIO driver only from Behranger. When I went to there site I only saw ASIO4ALL driver. I was told not to use that driver in the forums. If this is true could someone post the link for the ASIO driver? This is the link that I went to.http://www.music-group.com/brand/c/Behringer/downloads?active=Downloads

Comments

• Hi @Chip Forlong

You are right. I asked Behringer support a while back for the driver, and they gave it to me via a dropbox link (which will probably eventually stop working). I asked them if I could share it; they said I could.

If you install from one of the links below, and restart JamKazam (you might even want to restart your computer), then you should see a ASIO option in the 'Audio Input' dropdown in JamKazam on step 2 of the gear setup wizard.

Here's some further advice on configuring the UM2 to work in it's fastest mode...

You will need to go back into the audio gear setup wizard with JamKazam.

Once you pick the ASIO item from the 'Audio Input' dropdown on step 2 of the audio gear setup wizard, you'll need to then click the ASIO SETTINGS button that shows up; this will bring up the Behringer's ASIO settings window. I can't recall the exact item to click in this window, but I think there is a USB tab or some such, and once you click that tab, there is then a dropdown that let's you pick different speed settings. Try the fastest setting. It will get your latency down considerable from the default.

If your Windows is 32bit, use the 1st link. If 64bit, use the 2nd link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb8qdcng2gts8sl/BEHRINGER_2902_WIN32_2.8.17.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1x4g21ed44wuhke/BEHRINGER_2902_X64_2.8.40.zip?dl=0

I hope this helps for you and please let me know if you have any further questions.

If you are not sure if you have 32/64 bit Windows, you can use this help article to find out:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit
  • And let's hope those drivers work on Win10. Just for grins, I d/l'd "All the Windows software" for the UM2. The folders inside the ZIP file were created in 2014, but everything that's included is freeware or shareware, most of it with executables dated 2005 or 2006. Behringer sure went all-out supporting the UM2. Good luck, Chip. Hope the native ASIO drivers work for you.
    Intel i7 3.4GHz Win10 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Tascam US-16x08
    SONAR Platinum FORTE 7 Premium Reaper 5 Bitwig 8-Track
    Nektar Panorama P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, Chromaphone
  • A little more history that I'm aware of:

The UM2 used the same ASIO driver as some of their other, older gear; such as the UCG102 and UCA222; all of these device download pages have had this driver removed.

Seth
  • Thanks to you both! My UM2 should arrive in two days and I'm looking forward to a great Jamkazam experience.
  • Successfully using this driver with a UCA-222 on windows 10. Ironically my tascam US-600 uses a driver from the same developer in germany, Ploytec GmbH. Suspecting it's just a generic ASIO driver. Unfortunately the drivers are not free from Ploytec, wondering if there was a licensing issue that caused Behringer to pull the driver.
  • edited October 2015
    @Ian Lewis That would make sense. Tascam brought their driver development back in-house. Their Win10 driver for my US-16x08 is excellent, for example. I was able to reduce my sample size from 256 (Win7) to 64, once they got the Win10 update out (a month late, but it works great!). Hardware-centric companies really need to learn from this, that users won't tolerate poor driver quality just because of great hardware (I dumped my PreSonus AudioBox44VSL, for example (and Studio One to go along with it)). I've contracted out software development before, and the results pretty much sucked. I wound up spending more time managing the project than if I'd have just written the fargin' thing myself.
    Intel i7 3.4GHz Win10 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Tascam US-16x08
    SONAR Platinum FORTE 7 Premium Reaper 5 Bitwig 8-Track
    Nektar Panorama P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, Chromaphone
  • Not having any luck getting JK working with my NEW UM2. I've spent most of the weekend trying to get it to work with the 64 bit driver I got from Seth above. First thing the default sample rate was 44100. I changed to 4800 then I tried different combinations of settings under the Behranger ASIO USB control panel 2.8.40 tab. The best settings I could get were Latency 7.85 MS (GREEN) and I/O Rate-2 VAR-0.45 (RED)
    My computer is running Windows 7 home Intel i3 cpu m 350@2.27GHZ 4.00 GB 64bit OS.

Any suggestions?
  • Hi @Chip Forlong

One question, one suggestion:

Question: When you select the ASIO device as your input and output... when you play your instrument and or talk into the mic (depending on what you have hooked up to it), how do you sound? Do you sound clear or choppy/poor in some way?

Suggestion: Try going into 'ASIO SETTINGS' once you pick the ASIO driver from the Audio Input dropdown, and change the speed from the very fastest (which you have now) to one bit slower. You should be trading latency for I/O stability.

Seth
  • @Chip Forlong

I can't offer a real solution, but have noted two instances on separate machines of this driver not working properly on intel based computers. The first, a fellow jamkazamer tried everything he could to get a UCA-222 to work. He then sent it to me, and has been flawless on my AMD based laptop. The second instance, I helped set up a friend on Jamkazam, could not get the UM2 to pass with similar results to what you've experienced. Switched to a different AMD based computer and it passed. I'm not sure if this was an coincidence, but would it be possible to try your device on another computer?
  • Here's a link to an old post discussing these issues with the UM2 and UCA222

http://forums.jamkazam.com/discussion/73/behringer-uca222-interface/p1
  • Hi Seth and Ian, I did not have anything plugged into the UM2 inputs. I thought I had to get pass the test before trying mic and e kit first. I did try all three settings in ASIO and latency got worse and at one point i got a good I/O reading , but bad latency readings. I tried so many different combinations that I'm not sure at what stage I got this reading.

Ian, Thanks for the link, I quickly ran thru it and saw some of the same problems I'm having. I don't have another machine except for a Dell desktop with XP , OS. I think I read that JK won't run on it. I will look deeper when I get home.

Again, I thank you both for your time.
  • @Chip Forlong Right; only as far back as Vista.

Chip, if I read your test results correctly, you are actually pretty close to passing the I/O test.

So that's what I'm really keen to know... if you hook up anything to the input of the UM2 (and headphones to it as well), do you sound good? If so, then perhaps our I/O threshold could be relaxed a bit. But it's really all about how you sound. If the I/O rate is too far off, you will start to sound choppy or in some other way messed up.
  • Seth, This is screen shots of what I can adjust, maybe you can come up with the right combination. imageimageimageimageimage
    Behranger ASIO tab 1.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 7M
    ASIO tab 2.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 5M
    JK Adjust Gear Speed.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 4M
  • Hi @Chip Forlong
    When you have the ASIO tab with System Performance at Highspeed, try both sample rate of 44.1 khz and 48khz.

Which gives you the lowest 'I/O' number on step 2 of the test? Also, for the one that gives you the lowest I/O number on the test, if you make any noise into the UM2 while you have selected the device in step 2 as Input and Output, you should hear yourself in your headphones (if those headphones are connected to the UM2). Do you sound OK?
  • Hi Seth, Sorry for the late reply (My internet has been down) I get the lowest I/O reading using 44100. Both readings for 44100 and 4800 are RED. Rate-2 VAR 3.14 and Rate-3 VAR 16.82. On this test I was completely plugged into the UM2. I noticed while moving my mouse that I get a static buzz while the curser was moving and a constant slow click . I could hear mic and drums using both baud settings. I checked my playback devices settings to confirm I WAS NOT using my device for playback. I have gone as far as deleting and reinstalling J K and UM2 driver. Then I used my second New UM2 ( That I was going to give to a friend ) and got same results. I'm at a loss on how to resolve this issue. I would have thought that with the above screen shots your tech staff could have come up with the right combination of settings.
  • @Chip Forlong

Sometimes a particular USB port or internal hub on your system is defective, or just slower than it should be. The fact that you hear problems when your mouse moves (is it USB too?) might reinforce this; that increased activity on the USB hub is impacting the communication of the gear.

This is a bit tedious to do, but have you tried different USB ports? In particular, if you are trying one in the front of your computer, try ones on the back. If you have a blue colored port (USB3), try that. (Or, if you are currently trying a blue port, try a non-blue port).

Als, if your gear is not directly connected to a computer port (daisy chained through something, like an external USB hub), then definitely try going direct.

Seth
  • I also have a um2, same issues as everyone above, wish beringer offered a different driver on their site, is the above download link still active, if so, I plan on trying again tonite after work. thx.
    Larry
  • @Larry Kovalcik The link is still up. Yes, I agree; it's a real pain.
  • fantastic, thx
  • same exact issue as well
  • Seth, The problem I had with mouse movement noise was because it was a USB mouse. I located the main USB port but still had noise. I have
    given up on trying to get this interface to work. If someone gets the right combination of settings please post them.
  • Seth I had similar issues with my Behringer U-Phoria UMC 1820. What I had to do was go in to the computer settings and set them up to exactly match the Behriger bit rate settings with the computers bit rate. Also make sure you are using a high speed internet connection that is NOT on WiFi. Let me know if this helps.
  • @Matt You would only need to do that if you are also using the device as your primary sound device for the operating system. (record/playback in windows or mac) If you set these to the built in device there is no need to 'match the settings exactly'.

Best regards
    Mark
  • Hi Seth, sorry for more Behringer soft ware questions, but I recently purchased a UMC22 which also only has the "ASIO4all" driver as well, (and they don't work for the UMC22 either). When you talked to the Behringer support (or if you talk to them), do they have an old link to Behringer software for 64 bit windows 10 for the UMC22?

alternatively, does the hardware and software for the UMC204HD seem to work with JK?

regards, steve ross
  • Hi Seth; I swapped out the UMC22 to a UMC204 which uses Behringer ASIO software as opposed to generic ASIO4all, and low and behold it seems to work fine with low latency and no other configuration headaches.
    thanks, steve ross
  • Hi Steve,

I missed your earlier comment. Glad to hear the newer gear w/ the driver works. That's the typical experience!

Seth