Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Jamblaster - What are the USB ports for?

Do these ports do anything currently? The docs you published skip over them entirely.

Comments

• The recently-published docs? Yeah, they seem to skip them.

But the Kickstarter info has, for many many months (chuckle), said these two things:
    USB Ports
    The JamBlaster includes 8GB of onboard storage, and the Linux operating system and JamKazam application that run on the JamBlaster use less than 1GB of this storage. For musicians who want more storage capacity for recordings, we plan to support a short list of "certified" USB memory sticks that you can buy and plug into a USB port to expand the JamBlaster's storage capacity.
    ...and...
    Compatibility with Recording Software
    The JamBlaster may be connected to Windows and Mac computers using a USB cable (not included), and will act as a "normal" audio interface when used in this configuration, so you can use it with your favorite recording software (e.g. ProTools, Ableton, Cubase, Reaper, GarageBand, etc.).
    As to the "currently" part of your question, I haven't had a chance to try either of the above two things, so I'm skeptical either of them work... yet. But I'll roll the dice on an under-$5 USB TypeA double-male cable to try it as an external USB audio device. If it works for that, it could solve other problems I've had.
  • For what it's worth:
    I connected a JamBlaster to Mac Mini using a TypeA double-male. It was as easy to add as an audio device as any other would be. All very typical and familiar. I could now click the speaker icon in the upper-right corner, go into audio preferences (sorry, not in front of my Mac this moment, not remembering the exact words), and choose the JamBlaster as the default Playback device, and as the default Input device.

Then, started JamKazam, and again did the very predictable things to add devices there which it had previously not known about.

Thereafter, it worked with JamKazam very much like my old Berenger u202something did. It's just a USB audio device, not particularly special nor unusual.

I intend to try same with Windows 10 (I suspect my gaming PC has faster bus speeds for everything, including USB, so it might be a low-latency delight - who knows).
  • So did you ever get around to hooking the jb up to your Windows 10 machine?
  • I did. It failed to work. That was early January (long enough ago that I remember almost no details about it) and I haven't had the JB's powered up at all since then. Removed iTunes and felt greatly relieved. (chuckle)